Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Shanghai Chic
















I read somewhere that Shanghai was the New York of Asia. However, I was still surprised by just how modern Shanghai actually was. Some of the architecture was stunning. The major shopping street Nanjking Road reminded me of Tokyo and department stores were brimming with expensive clothes. Was this really a city in a communist country? Rampant capitalism was everywhere! What would Chairman Mao have thought? I must check my little red book to find out.

Given that the temperature at night was about zero, we all rugged up as we took to the streets to take in the bright lights. Camille even consented to wearing a hat and gloves as we braved the cold nights. I decided to join all the other Shanghaiese and purchased a cosy down jacket. (But with global warming will I ever wear it again in Melbourne? I doubt it!)