Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Getting to know Camille

After completing the necessary paperwork we returned to the White Swan. By now it was close to 6pm. The babies were exhausted, as they’d had an 8 hour trip from their orphanage in Suixi to Guangzhou.

Camille sat very quietly with me in the room. Looking at everything, in her quiet way. I changed her nappy, not a sound from her. Of course I now realise she was in shock. Everything that she had known was gone. The familiar food, her carers, the cot she slept in, her playmates.

I put her down on the floor for just a moment, with some toys. This broke her little heart. Big tears, sobbing. So I picked her up and she clung to me. ‘Don’t let me go!’ And she stayed like this for those first few days, attached to me like a little koala. Toilet trips were impossible, she didn’t want me out of her sight. Even when she was totally exhausted and I tried to put her to bed, she cried her little heart out. In the end I lay down on the bed and she fell asleep lying on top of me. Could attachment really have happened so quickly?