Monday, January 01, 2007

Meeting Camille

Around 3:30 on Christmas afternoon we all assembled ready to go to the office in Guangzhou where were to meet our babies. Excitement, anticipation, trepidation. We had waited so long for this moment.

Taken by bus to the office in town, we waited for the babies to be brought out, in the specified order. I was to be the fifth out of the six babies.

Finally my name was called. She was tiny, with a small, alert little face. Dressed in a beautiful red Chinese suit. She looked at me carefully, then cried for a short time. She was absolutely gorgeous, a tiny little wisp of a thing with beautiful almond eyes. Then to my amazement, she started to babble. She was talking to me! Blurting her little tongue. Saying mum, mum, mum. An extraordinary moment, totally overwhelming. I had finally met my precious little angel, Camille.