Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Postscript

And so ends the first chapter of my long journey. The way that Camille has settled in to life at Northcote has been extraordinary. After all the advice and warnings that I was given about attachment, I can only conclude that my experience was totally positive on all accounts. Camille clings to me like a baby koala bear, yet is quite happy to be held and interact with others. She laughs and dances to music, and loves to get us on the floor to play with us. As the orphanage had described her as quiet, this was the last thing I expected.

The Chinese government has just changed the rules regarding adoption. Singles will no longer be eligible to adopt. I feel as though I have had just a tiny window of opportunity and through it arrived Camille. How lucky and blessed I have been.