Thursday, February 15, 2007

Arriving home
















Arriving Home
The flight from Shanghai was ten hours. Fortunately we had a night flight and Camille slept all night (what an angel!!). We arrived in Sydney about 10 am and had to clear customs and then connect for our 12 o’clock flight to Melbourne.

Customs in Sydney was a total nightmare. After waiting some time in long, chaotic cues it soon became apparent that we were cutting it very fine indeed. By the time we arrived at the domestic check in we only had about 20 minutes before our flight boarded (and we had to catch a bus connecting the international and domestic terminals!)

Unfortunately Jo and I went to a counter where woman totally refused to put our luggage on the flight. The deadline had passed and that was it. The next flight was 3 hours later. 3 o’clock! Feeling slightly hysterical I pleaded that there would be an airport full of family waiting to meet us. No way, she would not budge.

To make matters worse, on the bus to the domestic terminal, I discovered that the two other couples in our group (who had gone up to the counter simultaneously) had been allowed to place their luggage on the 12 o’clock flight. Needless to say I was totally beside myself. Jo tried to console me and told me to try to let it go and be a little Zen about it. Good in theory not so easy in practice……

But then I realised that as my luggage was already going on the later flight, there was absolutely nothing I could do. So just as Jo had suggested I did let it go. Instead we enjoyed an excellent pasta, changed our clothes and Camille had a little sleep. Feeling much more calm and relaxed, we caught the plane three hours later.

Upon our touchdown in Melbourne, the pilot made a special announcement on the plane welcoming Vicki and Camille home (how did he know?). As we left the plane there was our
welcoming party complete with banners. Finally we were home!