Tuesday, December 05, 2006

The carepack

What do you send to a little girl so far away? Someone suggested an A4 size photo of myself which sounded like a good idea. A blond haired, blue eyed Mum might be a little scary otherwise.

Little Sacha the tiger was just too cute not to include. Others in the know told me that soft toys were not given to the children for hygiene reasons. But I decided to take a punt and send it anyway. I’ll take along another Sacha to China. The two Sacha’s can meet on that special day in Guangzhou.

Apparently Camille loves balls. I included a funny little ball which defies description. It has internal mirrors, bells and a happy face inside.

A camera was included, with Camille’s picture and name to avoid any potential confusion with cameras. Hopefully I’ll get some shots of the orphanage. I also included many questions about Camille. The carers are very busy, so I felt rather guilty sending them but I just couldn’t resist asking about her first 15 months at Suixi.

There was also a gift for her carer (Bodyshop soap and mango lip balm) and clothes for other children in the orphanage.

I put together a small book with the following pictures
1. Mum with a lady bird soft toy
2. Mum with her famous chocolate pavlova
3. Mum & Jo looking rather French
4. Mum looking French again at her work desk
5. Tim & Vicki looking forward to many trips to China
6. Camille’s new bedroom
7. Sacha the tiger

Letters in the carepack
Juneling the overseas student coordinator at my school was kind enough to translate letters to the director of the orphanage and to the carers. This is what I asked her to write to them

To the director.
Dear Mr. Han,

All the babies that are coming from Suixi to Australia look very healthy. Thank you for taking such good care of them. Please accept these gifts of clothes for the other children in your orphanage. I hope one day that I am able to meet you personally to say thank you for looking after Hua Chan. I will love and cherish her forever.

Yours Sincerely, Vicki Goodman

To the carer of Hua Chan

Thank you for taking care of Hua Chan. She looks like such a beautiful healthy baby. I know you will miss her very much and will be very sad. I will love and cherish her forever. Please accept this small gift of lip balm and soap as a token of my appreciation.

Yours Sincerely Vicki Goodman


On Sacha
Please allow Hua Chan to play with this little tiger.
It is made of wool and can easily be washed.