Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Allocation day finally arrives



Allocation day finally arrives!!!!!

After I'd dressed for work yesterday, I took a last minute look at myself in the mirror and decided I looked and felt a little lucky. Black and red. Despite initial reservations I'd embraced the ladybird. It began with the bracelet, then the socks, and now here I was in black and red and feeling lighthearted.

In anticipation I decided to keep the mobile in my back pocket. Just in case. Mid morning the call came as I was running down the school stairs. Lina the social worker. A mad dash for a pen and an empty classroom (206 to be exact). The details were scant.

A girl (yes a girl!). 14 months. Born on the 17th of August. SUI Hua Chan. Provence Guangdong, just behind Hong Kong. But no photo until Thursday.

I didn't cry, not just then. I just felt ovewhelmed with pure happiness. I'd waited so long. Next of course I made all the phone calls. Tim, Mum and Dad, Jo, Cath, Wayne, Neelam. My support team over all those long hard years. A flurry of emails from our travel group with details of babies and new names and a mad search of the internet for maps and details of the orphanage took up most of the rest of the day.

Champagne celebrations last night with the family for that little girl so far away. Choosing a name is still putting me in a spin. Mietta, Amelia, Camille???? I love them all. I must decide and soon! The photo may help. I hope.